A bourbon-tasting party is the stuff of bourbon legends; people that love bourbon. While you and your friends can take as much bourbon as possible in a single sitting, it can lead to bourbon fatigue.
Limit the bourbon to five bottles and thereabout, and remember to keep your guest list small to make the bourbon selection easy. Also, remember that a bourbon-tasting session would not be a party if you don’t have the right glasses. If it’s a party, the glasses must be suitable for the occasion, and the venue must complement the importance of the event.
Comparison and Horizontal Tasting
One school of thought in comparison to bourbon tasting is to use at least 51% corn, with the remaining grains being malted wheat and flavoring grains (usually rye or wheat).
There are mash bills that use more than 70% corn, the other 30% is rye or wheat, and high rye bourbons with a high rye content. A standard mash bill may be wheated bourbons that use wheat in the place of rye, along with some barley and corn.
Usually, mix and match, starting with the wheated varieties, and moving on to something more standard. In most cases, high rye bourbons come last. Try to stick with bourbons from the same age group.
Horizontal tasting involves bourbons of similar age. This can be entry-level bourbons or something upscale of more than ten years.
Don’t Forget Distilled Water
Along with the bourbon bottles and glasses, a full pitcher of distilled water is essential to keep guests hydrated. Have an eye dropper or straw for the drops of whisky. Adding water to the whisky has the same effect as swirling a glass of wine to determine the taste and scent.
Villa Ragusa has the whisky glasses, bourbon glasses, amenities, and expertise needed to make the event a success. What are you waiting for? Start planning your bourbon-tasting get-together today at Villa Ragusa.